The National Film and Video Foundation and the Netherlands Film Fund have established a Co-development scheme called THUTHUKA. This scheme aims to support projects that are potentially of high cinematographic quality and interest to cinema audiences in both countries as well as to international cinema audiences.
1. The annual budget of the Fund amounts as a rule up to 160.000 EUR. The NFVF will match the equivalent of 80.000 EUR in ZAR, taking currency fluctuations into consideration.
2. No more than 4 projects will be supported each year, two from South Africa and two from the Netherlands. Each project will receive € 40.000 (or the equivalent in ZAR). A maximum of € 6.000 for producer’s fee plus overhead is included in this amount.
3. Grants are available for script development.
Individual script coaching and/or coaching in the context of workshops is an integral part of
4. The goal is to write a full-script and create a pitch book, and to be able to apply for production support. Receiving a THUTHUKA grant does not guarantee selection for future subsidies.
5. Detailed regulations per Fund can be found via links at the end of this call.
1. Applications are open to:
• Established South African producers with a Dutch coproducer attached or vice versa, with an original script for a feature length (>80 min) documentary, live action or animated film from a South African or Dutch writer.
NB: Applicants based in South Africa apply via NFVF, applicants based in The Netherlands apply via NFF
2. There are no limitations regarding style or genre.
3. Only projects that haven’t received funding from the Funds before are able to apply.
4. Projects must be feasible within the criteria of both Funds.
5. Applications should be submitted in English and signed by all partners involved.
Ineligible projects include:
1. Live recordings, TV games, talk shows, reality shows or teaching and ‘how-to’ programs to be shown directly in schools.
2. Documentaries promoting tourism, “making-of”, reports, news and current affairs programs and “docu-soaps”.
3. Projects including pornographic or racist material or advocating violence.
4. Works of a promotional nature.
5. Institutional productions to promote a specific organisation or its activities.
Applications must include the following information:
• CVs of producer(s), scriptwriter(s) and, if already selected, the director.
• Motivation and vision of the team with regards to the project (including needs for the project)
• Co-production agreement or Letter of committed from the co producers and writer (and director if applicable)
• Brief project summary (maximum 5 pages).
• Treatment (maximum 20 pages).
• A script in case of a re-write).
• A Schedule for the development phase (e.g., timeline for writing, editing, research, director recruitment) (max 600 words).
• Development budget
• A brief synopsis not to exceed five page*
• Recently Certified ID copy of an applicant (dated certification stamp not older than six months)*
• Company’s Registration document.
• Track record of production company where applicable.
• Company’s Valid Tax Clearance Certificate or Tax Clearance Status Pin Document (must be valid for one year)*
• BBBEE certificate or Signed BBBEE Affidavit with a dated stamp (not older than one year).
The Parties reserve the right to require other documentation from applicants for the completion of the assessment of the project.
• Projects will be evaluated by representatives of the NFF and NFVF.
• The aim of this scheme is to increase and encourage the development of high-quality and diverse feature (animation) films and documentaries.
• Therefore, the evaluation will focus on creative value of the project, viability of the project
and the proposed target audience.
The Thuthuka Co-Development Fund will have one submission deadline per year.
This year’s deadline is November 1st, 2021 at 17:00
Awarded projects will be announced at IFF Rotterdam in January 2022
Complete overview of applicable regulations and conditions can be found here
For NFVF: https://www.nfvf.co.za/home/
For NFF: https://www.filmfonds.nl
For National Film and Video Foundation
Terrence Khumalo firstname.lastname@example.org
For Netherlands Film Fund
Ilse Ronteltap email@example.com
Ezra Droog E.Droog@filmfonds.nl